Heating

I bought the bungalow without finding out how old the boiler was. A gas safety check had been completed but no other paperwork was available. Although I could look up the boiler operating instructions up on the internet, something just didn't make sense. Basically I was trying to reduce the temperature of the hot water as it was scolding hot. I was following various instructions to the letter but it wasn't doing what it said it would. I joined the British Gas plan which services your boiler and does any repairs etc for a knock down price of £15 a month for a year.

A repair man was booked and arrived a couple of days later.  I went through a list of questions with him.  First of all he said the boiler had been fitted by British Gas 5 years earlier. He then went on the explain about  closed and open boiler systems.  I have a boiler and hot water cylinder, so my hot water temperature is controlled on the tank. Apparently my boiler can also be used as a combi boiler where the hot water temperature is controlled on the boiler. and the tank is removed. He was brilliant and took me through loads of stuff, leaving me so much more relaxed about everything. 




We chatted for a while and he said its looks like you're doing a fair amount of work here,  are you going to upgrade the radiators and pipework?  The bungalow had MICROBORE. I did say it wasn't something I'd planned but the fact that two of the radiators in the house were way of centre was both annoying and ugly! (MY OCD again) He advised I get some quotes because in his opinion it was a problem waiting to happen. He had been to many a property where the pipes had silted up and no longer worked. He was even honest enough to say it would cost a small fortune for British Gas to do. (The photo above doesn't show it very well but the radiator is to the left of the window and not central. Below the radiator is central and the new copper pipes can be seen going up to the loft. They were painted the same colour as the wall, even though they would eventually be hidden behind long curtains)



I made the decision I was going to change the pipework and radiators, even though it may potentially hold other jobs up. It was better to get rid of all the mess at this stage then later on. I got 5 quotes, 3 came  out exactly the same price. One was cheaper as he didn't pay VAT and one that was crazy expensive. The work was completed 4 weeks later. I went with LJP plumbing who gave me a full itemised quote and guaranteed quality fittings and that was exactly what I got. Despite being £2900 I hadn't bargained for, the workmanship was excellent. Plus the difference in the heat from the new radiators is fantastic. And my bills are half of what they were before the pipes and radiators were changed. WIN,WIN. 

Bye for now Tx

Comments

  1. That sounds like it was a very good decision. And yes, having an off centre radiator would bug me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. every time I walked into that room I would subconsciously shake my head. I hated it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hello and Welcome

Moving In

The Garden